Articles About Big Brum
In 1885 the clock tower, now affectionately known by locals as Big Brum, was added to the Council House. It was part of the first major extension of the building, also designed by Thomason.
Inside, the tower is broken into five floors, accessed by a narrow winding staircase of 159 steps from street level. This first level holds nothing more than two levers for the chime and peel. These allow the ringing to be disabled, for example if recordings are taking place in the adjacent conservatoire.