Articles about the Council House
The Grade II* listed Council House is well known to all residents of Birmingham.
It is passed by hundreds of people every day, as they walk through Victoria Square. The renaissance style captures the opulence of 19th century classicism, but its true significance lies in the ideals it stands for. Designed by local architect Yeoville Thomason, it is a grand reflection of Birmingham’s pride in its civic achievements.
In 1874 the first stone was laid by Joseph Chamberlain, who was Lord Mayor at the time. Hidden behind its walls, many of the interior spaces share the Victorian elegance and grandeur of the façade. Aside from its administrative functions the building houses a plethora of impressive spaces including the Lord Mayor’s suite, the Council Chamber, committee rooms and a richly ornamented banqueting suite of elaborate reception rooms.