Articles About the Municipal Bank
Many will know the grand ionic columns and Portland stone façade of the now redundant Birmingham Municipal Bank Head Office, which sits solemnly on Broad Street opposite the new Library of Birmingham.
Designed by Thomas Cecil Howitt, the same architect as Baskerville House opposite, the Grade II listed building was completed in 1933 to house the newly founded civic institution.
The Birmingham Municipal Bank was set up in 1919 by Neville Chamberlain, who was Lord Mayor of the city at the time.
He was following in the footsteps of his father Joseph whose municipal ventures changed the face of Birmingham, through his belief in the ‘Civic Gospel’.
It became the first municipal back in the country, established to cater for the ordinary worker, enabling them to make small savings. Its purpose was also to raise funds for the First World War effort. The bank later became Trustee Savings Bank, or TSB.